1. Detailed information on China Visa  
(A). Entries
Entries mean how many times the visa holder can enter China before the visa becomes invalid, which includes single, double and multiple. On the visa, single entry is printed as 01(壹), while double as 02(贰), and multiple as M(多). Visa will be automatically invalid once it is the entries are used out or the date of ENTER BEFORE even if there are some ENTRIES left. The holder must apply for a new one before entering China.

Generally, the fee of the application of the visa varies from entries to entries and duration to duration (Except for US citizens for whom the fee is the same for all visas.)

(B). Visa Validity (enter before)
ENTER BEFORE means the deadline on which the holder of this visa to enter Mainland China. You must use the visa to enter China before 24:00 on the date of deadline. All visas come into effect on the date of issuance. For example, your single visa was issued on 18 May 2007. This date is the starting day for the holder to use this visa to enter Mainland China.

(C). Duration of Each Stay (after entry)
Duration of Each Stay after Entry means the maximum number of days the visa holder are permitted to stay in China from the date of entry. If extension of the duration of stay is needed, visa holder should apply for extension at the exit & enter department of local public security authorities before visa expires. Who stays longer than the duration will be penalized. Z, L, J-1, D, and X visa holder must apply for a Residence Permit for his/her stay in China within 30 days since the date of entry in China.

Please check the official website of China Embassy in your country for more information about the visa requirements.

2. Main China Visa Types & Requirement

 China Visa Types Purpose

Tourist/Family Visit Visa (L)

L Visa is issued to a foreign citizen who comes to China for tourist purpose, family visit or other personal affairs.

Business Visa (F)

F Visa is issued to a foreign citizen who is invited to China for visit, research, lecture, business, exchanges in science, technology, education, culture and sports, or attending various kinds of trade fairs and exhibitions, or short-term study, intern practice, for a period of less than 6 months.

Student Visa (X)

X Visa is issued to a foreign citizen who comes to China for the purpose of study for a period of six or more months. A foreign citizen who is to study in China for less than six months should apply for a business visa (F).

Work Visa     (Z)

Z Visa is issued to a foreign citizen who is to take up a post or employment in China and his or her accompanying family members, or to give commercial performances in China

Transit Visa (G)

G Visa is issued to a foreign citizen who is to transit through China on his or her way to a third country (or region).

Hong Kong SAR Visa
Macao SAR Visa

1. Austrian citizens are exempt from Hong Kong visa if they go to Hong Kong for visit or sightseeing for less than 180 days.
2. Austrian citizens are exempt from Macao visa for up to 180 days.

3. Regulations on China Visa
The People's Republic of China follows the international system and issues visas according to its laws and regulations which may be modified from time to time. The information provided here is about entry to the PRC mainland only, and excludes the visa and entry rules for Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan.

Visa is required for entry into China, except for the following situations: Foreign travelers who hold connecting tickets to pass through China and stay in the transit area of the airport less than 24 hours.

The regulations for granting visas include a number of factors such as your nationality, whether you have family in China, and whether you were previously a Chinese citizen, and which type of visa you are applying for as well as each issuing office has some discretion in how they implement the regulations.

The regulations are not normally applied to their fullest extent, but at any time the government may issue a directive to apply the regulations more rigorously against an individual, to applicants from certain nations, or when special events are taking place such as the Olympic Games. Thus, at any time you might be asked to supply full travel bookings, show a minimum amount of funds, or have invitations from Chinese persons or organizations.

Visas can be issued for various durations; immediate or later start dates, and allow one, two (dual), or multiple entries. Any exit from the mainland of the PRC, including to Hong Kong and Macau will require that you have a valid entry to the mainland to permit you to re-enter. Otherwise you will need to apply for a new visa at a consulate (or equivalent in Hong Kong) before entry is permitted.The Chinese visa is usually a paper sheet glued into your passport but it can occasionally be a rubber stamp.

The regulations vary from nationality to nationality of the visa holder. The above information is for your reference. Please contact the Chinese visa issuing office for more details.

4. Visa Exemption  
Visa is required for all the aliens to entry into China, except for the following situations.

(A). Visa Exemption for Nationals of Singapore, Brunei and Japan
Ordinary passport holders of Singapore, Brunei and Japan are allowed to enter China without visas for up to 15 days for tourism, including visiting family or friends, or minor business purposes provided they enter through nominated international ports.

For nationals of these three countries, a visa is required under following circumstance:
(a). Ordinary passport holder visits China for tourism, business, visiting friends and relatives, and stay for more than 15 days.
(b). Ordinary passport holder visits China for the purposes of study, work, official visit, settling down and interview.
(c). Diplomatic and Official passport holder.

(B). The following situations can be exempt from visa
(a). The people involved in the Visa Exempt Agreement and holds the passport of the country that signed a mutual Visa Exempt Agreement with China.
(b). Entourages, spouse and minor children of the head of state and government visiting China
(c). The people stay in the Chinese airport or in the port city for no more than one day.

(C). The truly transit passengers by international flight holding the passport of the following countries stay in Shanghai as the transit visitors can enjoy 48-hour visa-free travel.
Japan, South Korea, Singapore, America, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Spain, Finland, Portugal, Iceland, Denmark, Switzerland and Norway.

(D). Visa Exemption for Diplomatic, Service or Official Passport Holders
China has mutual visa-free agreements with some foreign countries, but they are mainly for diplomatic, service or official passport holders and only allow the duration of stay less than 30 days.

(E). Visa Exemption for Holder of Aliens' Residence Card
Foreign nationals who visit China for the purposes of study or work and resident foreign journalists shall apply for Aliens' Residence Cards at local public security authorities within 30 days of entry into China.
Within the period of the validity of the Residence Card, the holder is entitled to enter and exit China for many times without applying for another visa.

(F). Visa Exemption for Holder of APEC Business Travel Card
The APEC Business Travel Card is regarded as a multiple entry visa with a validity of three years, and the holder’s duration of each stay should be less than 2 months.

(G). Visa Exemption for Visiting Hainan Province
Citizens holding the ordinary passport of the following 26 countries are exempt from visa requirements when they travel to Hainan Province as a group organized by International Travel Agencies that have been set up and registered in Hainan Province. The duration of each stay should be less than 21 days and travelers are not allowed to leave Hainan. The countries include Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Great Britain, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kazakstan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Singapore, Thailand, USA and Ukraine

5. Visa on Arrivial 
At the requirements of the China Visa, aliens must apply to China Embassy for the visa before entering China or on the way to China. Exceptionally, the aliens, holding the documents issued by the Chinese authority and the ordinary passport of the country that has diplomatic and official trading tie with China, enjoy the right to apply to the visa-granting departments authorized by the Ministry of Public Security for the visa on arrival of China entry port out of the following urgencies.

(a). Aliens are invited at the last moment by a Chinese host to come to China for a trade fair.
(b). Aliens are invited to come to China to submit a tender or to sign a formal economic or trade contract.
(c). Aliens come to China by appointment to supervise the inspection of import and export commodities or to participate in a check-and-accept operation in accordance with contracts.
(d). Aliens are invited to participate in the installation of equipment or in the emergency repair of engineering projects.
(e). Aliens come to China at the request of the Chinese side to solve a problem of claims.
(f). Aliens are invited to come to provide technical advisory services.
(g). Aliens come to China due to a last-minute change in the composition of a visiting group and with consent of the Chinese side after the visas are granted.
(h). Aliens come to China to see patients in critical conditions, or to undertake funeral matters.
(i). Owing to force majeure, transit visa holders cannot leave the country within twenty-four hours by taking the original place or by taking other means of transport.
(j). Other invited guests who really have no time for visa application to the aforesaid China's resident agencies abroad, and who hold letter(s) or telegram(s) from competent authorities who give the consent for the invited guests to apply for the visa at the designated entry ports.

(a). Alien can apply for the visa on arrival doesn’t mean your application is definitely approved by the China authority, thus the aliens should be responsible for the consequent troubles thereof.

(b).Visa-issuing departments at port of entry, as authorized by the Ministry of Public Security, are stationed at the following ports: Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Chongqing, Dalian, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Xi'an, Guilin, Hangzhou, Kunming, Guangzhou (Baiyun Airport), Shenzhen (Luohu, Shekou, Huanggang), Zhuhai (Gongbei), Haikou, Sanya, Jinan, Qingdao, Yantai, Weihai, Chengdu, Nanjing, Changchun, Huichun, Hekou, Mohe.

6. Requirements of China Visa Application

(A). The documents required to submit
(a). A passport with the validity of 6 months (from the date of submission) and with blank visa page
(b). A truthfully, completely and clearly filled PRC visa application form with your signature
(c). A qualified full-faced passport photo took recently without hat on
(d). The other essential relevant documents concerning the type of visa you apply
(e). Consular fees and the extra fees (if any) should be paid on collecting your visa.

Note: you can entrust your friends, visa agency or travel agency to submit, but you should complete and sign the form yourself. While, someone collects the visa for you must show the "Pick Up Form". For the interview for the visa application, you must be there as required and answer all the questions from the officials.

(B). Submit the application
(a). Arrange your trip in advance in case you can not collect the visa before setting out or the expire of the visa
(b). Fill the visa application form truthfully, completely and clearly and don’t forget to sign your name on
(c). Application will not be accepted if the needed documents are not fully presented or counterfeit documents are presented
(d). Answer all questions from the officials. At the International Conventions, the officials have the right to require any relevant documents or refuse to issue the visa to anyone without explaining.
(e). The Type, Entries, Enter Before and Duration of Stay after Entry of the visa are decided by the officials according to the regulation and the application
(f). You are responsible to go through the visa when collect and propose your doubts, if any, on the spot

7. Fees of Visa Visa Fees
Visa fee varies by the Type, Entries, Enter Before and Duration of Stay after Entry of the visa. For the details of visa fee, please visit the official website--in some countries the website of Chinese Visa Application Service Center (CVASC) while in the others the website of the Chinese Embassy.

Important Notice:
(A). Nationals of 66 countries and regions enjoy visa-free visits to Macao Special Administrative Region, for details, please check on
(B). Nationals of Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Vietnam have to apply for Macao visas at the Chinese Embassy in the U.K.
(C). National from countries other than the above 72 may choose to apply for Macao visas at the Chinese Embassy in the U.K. or make a visa-upon-arrival (entry permit) application upon their arrival at Macao.

8. Visa Cancellation
The cancellation of visa is an unusual case, which will happen only when the aliens have broken the Chinese Law or are regarded as unqualified to get a China visa according to the concerning visa regulations. What's worse, when alien violated the China law badly, he or she would be expelled from China. While for the slighter violation, he or she can exit China in 7 days.

A common issue is that when you have entered China on a Z or X visa but later leave your employment or studies, you are not entitled to remain in China on that visa. The organization you were associated with is supposed to notify the PSB that you are no longer with them and you should apply for a new visa, most likely a tourist (L) visa.

If you do not seek a new visa and the PSB has been informed of the situation, you will probably have no trouble until you seek to leave the country. Then you might be considered to have overstayed your visa.

9. FAQ about China Visa  

(A). When should I submit my visa application?
Answer: 1 or 2 months before the date you plan to enter China. If you apply for the visa too late, you may not have enough time for the application. If you apply for the visa too early, the visa may become invalid before your departure for China.

(B). Where can I get the Visa Application Form of the People's Republic of China?
Answer: You can down the Visa Application Form of People's Republic of China (Form V2011 A) and Visa Application Form of People's Republic of China (Form V2011 B) in the PDF pattern from internet or you can get the free one from the embassy or consulate.

(C). If I can't go to the embassy or consulate myself, can I entrust someone else to submit my visa application and collect my visa?
Answer: Yes, you can entrust your friends, visa agency or travel agency to submit, but you should complete and sign the form yourself. While, someone collects visa for you must show the "Pick Up Form".

(D). Can I send my visa application by mailing?
Answer: Most of Chinese embassies and consulates don't accept visa application by mailing. Check the official website of Chinese embassy or consulate to see whether it accepts application by mailing or not.

(E). Hong long does it take for the visa application?
Answer: Generally speaking, it takes 4 working days for processing the visa application. Many embassies or consulates also provide 3 (or fewer) working days service, but you need pay for theextra service.

(F). Do I have to submit my original passport for visa application or the copy one is ok?
Answer: Yes, you must offer the original one, because the Chinese visa should be pasted on the visa page of your passport. If you need your passport every day, you can apply for 1 working day service, so that you can get your visa on the same day.

(G). How much should I pay for my visa?
Answer: The visa fees vary according to your nationality, the number of entries, the country you are applying in and whether you need an express service or not.

(H). Can I renew my China visa? My visa will expire on next 20thh, but I will go to China on 24th.
Answer: The visa can't be renewed or made any changes once issued, because the visa is printed on your visa page of passport and any change on it will make the visa invalid. So, you have to apply for a new visa.

(I). Can I apply for extension of duration of stay after I arrive in China?
Answer: Aliens who are already in China holding the L or F visa can apply for an extension of duration of stay at a local county level Public Security Bureau.

(J).Do I need a visa to Hong Kong and Macau?
Answer: About 170 countries or regions don't need a visa for Hong Kong, you can read the Non-Visa to Hong Kong for Foreign Countries/Areas to check whether you need a visa or not. Passport holders from 65 countries enjoy visa free access to Macau for a certain period; other aliens can apply for visa when they arrive in Macau.

(K). What if I overstay my visa?
Answer: Aliens overstayed for less than 10 days with convinced reasons can be exempt from being penalized. While if over 10 days, the penalty is 500 CNY, the total amount of which is not over 5000 CNY. 

Quick search a tour:
How long your trip will be:
You plan to start in:
tailor made your owns China Tours


[email protected]


+86 13978369041



Associated with or Member of:

Follow Us at:

Travelers' Reviews on:

Copyright © 2010-2019 China Expedition Tours. All Rights Reserved