This hiking route integrates the appreciation of the unique terraced rice paddies and the experience of exotic minority nationality culture, bringing you a fresh and brand-new feeling after your long-term hustling and bustling city life.
Highlights & Features:
- Awesome rice terrace scenery along
- Colorful minority culture and customs
- Off the beaten track mountain paths
- Forests of firs and bamboos, birds and flowers
- Buffaloes, cows, pigs, chickens and other animals
- Unique wooden houses and bridges
- Organic and fresh food, fruits & vegetables
- Friendly & unsophisticated local farmers and villagers
- Ideal places for landscape & humanity photography
It takes about 2.5 hours to drive from Guilin to Ping'an Village, where we start hiking. We will walk uphill by taking the slate-paved stairs through the village on the mountainside. A zero-distance look at those wooden and mortise-and-tenon structured houses will leave you an unforgettable memory. What's more, on the way and at the top of the mountain you will see beautiful contour-map-like terraced rice paddies. You also see Zhuang people wearing their costumes, making straw sandal shoes and colorful insoles when walking.
From No.1 viewing platform, take a turn to the right, and the path (now a concrete road) will lead us to the direction of Dazhai, a famous Yao people's village. In about twenty minutes, a jade-green colored reservoir, which grantees the water resource of the villagers and the rice paddies, appears on our left hand side. Then, an about 2 hour long walk through the pine and fir woods, up and down on the mountains, along the ridge of the rice fields, will lead us to Zhongliu (Middle Six) , a Yao village which is considered to be the half way between Ping'an and Dazhai. Right before the village, down to the bottom of the gorge, a running creek with gurgling water is really an ideal place to have a rest.
There are still about 2 hours to go after Zhongliu village. You may get bit tired now. But the breathtaking sceneries will definitely reward you. There are more terraced rice paddies, fir tree woods and elegantly standing bamboos all the way along the path. If lucky enough, you may come across Yao people working in the fields with their buffalo. Their wrinkled but friendly faces, rose-red costumes with the lush-green background will be a perfect picture to illustrate the harmony between human and nature.
There will appear a small village named Tiantou before going down to Dazhai. Tiantou is located on the slope of the mid-level and from here you can have a panoramic view around. Keep going downhill, you will see a valley densely occupied by the black-roofed houses. Here comes Dazhai, the destination of our hiking!
A 2.5 hour drive will take us back to the city of Guilin.
Pricing & Accommodation
- US Dollar
- GB Pound
- CA Dollar
- AU Dollar
- HK Dollars
* Price in every box above is for each person.
* Price is in US dollar. It may vary a little bit according to US dollar exchange rate fluctuation, car fuel price change and government tax adjustment, etc.
* Group Size in the box above only counts adult participants (those who are 12 years old or above).
* For group size over 10, please kindly send us an email for a better rate request.
* Children at the age of 5≤x﹤12, enjoy 50% discount. Children under 5 are free. Children above 12 are charged as adults. Please send us children’s details in email.
* Please note that when comparing price, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. We don't earn money by taking you to commission shopping stops, a common practice when travel with a tour group in China, wasting your time. Our guides are carefully selected, highly trained and well-paid to be friendly and patient travel companions. WE ARE NOT THE CHEAPEST, BUT WE ARE ONE OF THE BEST.
Inclusions / Exclusions
- Personal English-speaking Guide for the entire tour
- Experienced Driver + comfortable Private car/van/bus for the driving part (from your hotel to the starting & end point of the hiking and back to your hotel)
- Admission fees for the scenic spots
- Service Charge & Government Taxes
- Meals (our guide would recommend a restaurant for simple lunch during or after this hike, and all people there may go Dutch on the food expense. Your will also be informed to bring some snacks for non-meal-time use the day before)
- Gratuities, Tips to local people, the guide and driver
(Although not compulsory, if you think your guide and driver have done a good job at the end of the tour, we suggest you tip them at you own decision to show your appreciations.)
- Other Personal Expenses
- There will be some rough and bushy paths for parts of this hike. So, comfortable shoes or boots, long pants with elastic bottoms, even in summer day, are suggested.
- Please note this hiking route can be carried out conversely accordingly.
- A day pack with sun-glasses, sunscreen, caps/hats and other necessary stuff are suggested for summer season.
- Unlimited bottled drinking waters are stored in our car or van, during hiking you need the day pack to carry them.
- Bring an umbrella in a cloudy day and the raining season.
- Always bring your phone and/or camera.
- We will bring trekking poles in our car or van, and please tell your guide if you need one.
- Please note that, for some parts of this hiking tour, public toilets are not easily available. We may use the very basic local outhouses in the village or just bush to meet our toilet needs. Please always carry toilet paper by yourself.
- In case of very poor weather, for the sake of our safety, Hike Guilin may make a postponement or cancellation decision right before the hiking departure time. In the circumstance of cancellation or postponement (but you are not able to do it in the postponed time), we will refund the money.
- Travel insurance is optional and is the sole responsibility of travelers. It is encouraged to have coverage of injury or accident.
- As responsible travelers, we “take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprint”.