Everest Base Camp trek boasts the second popular trekking route in Tibet. You will hike on an altitude of over 4300 m for most of the time, even crossing over a pass named Nam-la which is 5300 m. So this trekking route is really a challenge of high-elevation. However, the high-altitude will reward you spectacular views of the North Slope of Everest and other snow mountain peaks around. The Everest Base Camp Trek tour can be arranged from April to late October. Our tour involves a few day sightseeing at Lhasa at first and some detour off the Friendship Hwy to Old Tingri to acclimatize.
Hiking Duration: from 2 hrs to 9 hrs per day
Hiking Distance: from 8 km (5 miles) to 27 km(17 miles), 4 days total
Hiking Route: Old Tingri to Samye E.B.C
Upon your arrival to Lhasa, you will be welcomed at the airport or the train station by your local guide and then transferred to your hotel. Relax and acclimatize yourself to the high altitude.
Stay overnight in Lhasa.
Morning drive up to Kampala pass [4794m], you will have a glimpse of Yamdrok-tso and spectacular views of Holy Mount Nyenchen Khangsar in the distance, the turquoise colored Lake Yamdrok Yutso is one of the three holy lakes in Tibet, the unforgettable vista of pincer-shaped turquoise water of the lake and amazing spectacle of Mt. Nyenchen Khangsar glacier from Karo la pass are wonders of the day. Then along the Friendship southern Hwy drive to Gyantse, visit the famous stupa - Gyantse Kumbum, the most stunning architectural wonder in Tibet. Late afternoon drive to Shigatse.
Stay overnight at Shigatse.
In the morning we visit Tashilunpo Monastery and the spectacular tombs of Panchen Lamas in Shigatse, and then drive by Friendship Hwy to Old Tingri via Lhatse and Shegar. Our guide will do preparations for the trek, hiring horse carriage. You may have a good view of Cho Oyu.
Stay overnight at Old Tingri (Local Guest house, dorm bed).
The trek begins in Old Tingri and we pass through Rachu and Lungjang as we head south towards Everest in the distance. The open valley of Rachu river goes narrower and gradually it ascent for a gain in elevation. A water-powered barley mill is passed along the way.
Camp at Danak.
As you continue trekking up to the valley, the Everest disappears behind the mountains. The trail turns to the southeast and begins to climb to the pass. We then walk down along the snowmelt river which originates from Mt. Everest and Mt. Cho Oyu. The campsite is just at the foot of the mountain.
Camp at Chogorong.
Go ahead to hike along the river in the valley and cross the river by a tiny wooden bridge at the Junction of rivers from Everest and Cho Oyu, you will meet the car road to the Everst Base camp after the bridge. Continue along the main road towards south, tracing the road will lead you to your destination and the mighty peak of Everest gradually appears in front of you, the typical Rongbuk Monastery consist both monks and nuns in it, the humble stupa at the monastery is the one that can be seen on most post cards and posters of the Mt.Everest.
Stay overnight at Rongbuk Monastery Guesthouse.
Today you can have a good relax at Rongbuk, and then head up to E.B.C. It only takes 2 hours hike to E.B.C from Rongbuk. Dozens of black tents beside the road is the local tent guesthouses community. At EBC, the local police will register all tourists’ identities. A small hill, with lots of prayer flags on, is the best position to see the Mt.Everst and it is also the final boundary that tourists can go. Then return back to either Rongphu guesthouse or local tent guesthouse taking the assigned minibus, or you can trek back on the same way if you like.
Stay overnight in the guesthouse.
Today enjoy the aureate peak of Everest sunrise before driving back to Shigatse.
Stay overnight at Shigatse.
Drive back Lhasa via northern friendship Hwy, this part is driving along the main body of Bramaputra River and various landscapes and sceneries are worthwhile to stop at some point. Sometimes speed limitation is sensitive in this part. Afternoon have a good rest at Lhasa.
Stay overnight at Lhasa.
Finish your Everest Base Camp Trekking trip by saying good-bye to your guide and drive at the airport or train station.
Pricing & Accommodation
- US Dollar
- GB Pound
- CA Dollar
- AU Dollar
- HK Dollars
|Group Size||1 person||2-5 persons||6-9 persons||≥10 persons|
* Price in every box above is for each person.
* Price is in US dollar. It may vary a little bit according to US dollar exchange rate fluctuation, car fuel price change and government tax adjustment, etc.
*The price is only for your reference and it is subject to seasons, high or low.Please send us your inquiry if you are interested.
Inclusions / Exclusions
1. Transport: four-wheel driven cross-country vehicle for the whole trip (Day 2 walking tour is arranged);
2. Accommodation: 6 nts 3 star standard hotels in Lhasa / Shigatse(Twin sharing room), 3 nights guest house at Old Tingri, Rongbuk and E.B.C, 3 nts camping;
3. Guide: English-speaking local Tibetan guide;
4. Airport or train station pick-up and send-off;
5. All personal entrance tickets;
6. All necessary Tibet permits;
7. Horse carriage to carry luggage during the trek;
8. Necessary bottles of oxygen & the high altitude medicine;
9. Tent, mattress and sleeping bags (optional);
10. Meals during trekking days(day 06-08), including cook, food, fruits and all necessary cooking equipments (optional).
1. Flight tickets or train tickets in and out of Lhasa (Note: We can offer you train tickets in and out Lhasa from Beijing/ Shanghai/ Chengdu/ Xi'an/ Xining, etc, and flight tickets in and out Lhasa from Chengdu/ Kathmandu/ Beijing/ Shanghai/ Guangzhou/ Xian/ Kunming, etc. Please check the latest price with us by email.)
2. Personal expense such as laundry, drinks, internet, fax, telephone calls etc;
3. Meals which are not specified in the tour itinerary, lunches, dinners and breakfast in guest house;
4. Tips for your guide and driver.
How to Dress (only for reference):
Sturdy walking shoes/Sport sandals
Long, loose and comfortable pants
Warm enough clothes
Fleece, Jacket, hat and gloves
Umbrella or waterproof jacket in a cloudy day or rainy day
Cover for backpack or plastic bags to keep clothes dry in case of rain
What to Bring (only for reference):
Wet wipes / Moist towelettes
Sun hat, Sun block, Sunglasses (very important in Tibet)
Camera, film and memory chip, battery
First-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may be taking).